Monday, October 5, 2009

Trying to choose a hamster cage

Since Muah Chee left us, I was thinking when I should get a new hamster. Probably not so soon cos I still miss my little Muah Muah.

Before I get a new hammie, I will start looking for a good cage first. But getting a cage is a mind boggling task!

Should I get a plastic cage or a wire bar cage? Each has its merits and flaws. Plastic is safer since there are no metal bars for the hammie to bite and get poisoned by the rust later on, but to me the ventilation sucks. I visualise myself staying inside the cage and I can't convince myself that I will be able to breathe properly. Wire bar cage, on the other hand will surely have good ventilation but it's the rust on the bar that I am worried about. The staff at Pet Lovers Centre told me that the coating is non-toxic but once the coating is off, the bar may turn rusty and that's where the problem will arise. Am I suppose to decide if the hammie should die from suffocation, or poison? Sigh, tough task.

I am also looking for something big enough for hammie to run and climb. Over the weekend, me and hubby had gone to explore some cages. There are already some disagreements on the kind of cage to buy. To him, it is apparent that we should prevent the hammie from biting the bars so plastic ones would be the best. But to me, I am considering all factors, including the complexity in cleaning the cage.

I guess we have to keep looking for something both of us can accept. I wonder how do I choose a hamster that will not bite cages!


Looks good for the hammie to climb on. But will the hammie bite till its heart content?



Don't this look suffocating to you?




Looks nice to me.




Looks good. But I may end up dead trying to clean.



Same as above. Much more complicated than the above. Better think properly before I get this kind.


God, which one should I buy?

5.53pm

No comments: