Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Potato Salad

My first time making potato salad today. Following colleague Yanfeng's instruction as close as possible. Hehehehe....Here it goes, for my memory, and for you if you need it.

I bought two packs of Brastagi Granola potatoes from NTUC. 1 kg per pack, so I've got 2 kg of potatoes! Threw all in a pot and let it boil. Yanfeng said to use a chopstick and poke. If the chopstick can poke through the potatoes, they are done. I did that. I think it took about 45 minutes for my chopstick to poke through. Even then, I was a littke 'kiasu' and continued to let it boil for a while more.

Once done boiling, pour away the hot water and replace with cold water (I used tap water). I changed twice, then started peeling off the skin. Seemed to be easier that way though. So here's my naked potatoes.


Dice the potatoes into little cubes. Guess if you want them in bigger pieces, that's fine too. So that's up to the individual.
Then add honey baked ham and bacon bits. I would prefer to have the honey baked ham in cubes (ie to get a much thicker slice to dice) but I couldn't get them from NTUC (cos they said their machine were then slicing beef and couldn't do the honey baked them for me). I ended up just buying the normal honey baked ham in thin slices. Buy the 'real' bacon bits (usu in glass bottle) instead of those synthetic ones (usu in plastic bottles).

Then, in goes the mayonnaise. I followed Yanfeng's Best Food Mayonnaise so I know I wouldn't go very wrong in terms of ingredients. :) So, the mixing begins.

Hubby helped me with the mixing while I checked out the photo I took of Yanfeng's potato salad we had during Christmas (can refer to my earlier post) to see if they looked the same. Hehehehehe....

Once satisfied with the mixing, sprinkle some coarse black pepper and then add more of those bacon bits as garnish.
Finally, store the salad in the fridge.
Mission Accomplished!!
For reference purpose: For the 2kg potatoes, I used up one small and half medium bottle of mayonnaise, and the whole bottle of bacon bits. At first I thought the two packs of potatoes might not be sufficient but ended up with quite a decent portion for my new year buffet catered for about 30 pax.

Irene-san: So you can try this for your son's school carnival wor!
27 Jan 2009 (10.33pm)

4 comments:

Me and My Two Precious said...

Hmmm...looks Gd...wonder the taste... gd?

Maomie said...

Mmmm, at least I've got a couple of goods from the folks. I forgot to mention something in the block. After mixing, put it in the fridge to make it cold.

Pespi or Taxi said...

Actually next time u can try to use small potato. Can comment 1 thing too, ur potato next time dont cut to small cubes.

Maomie said...

Huh? Mash them ah?