Saturday, November 3, 2007

Nostalgic......Fishball Noodle

I used to stay at a one-room flat at Pipit Road (near Circuit Road) with my parents when I was a toddler, up to the age of about 6. Next to the block was a market and hawker centre (it is still there) where mom and I always patronise, especially the fishball noodle stall. And so far, I cannot find another fishball noodle stall which I prefer to the Pipit Road stall.

That was the place where I started eating fishball noodles with mom's influence, I believe. During those times, I usually share the noodles with mom. Whenever we went there, it was the standard 'mee pok cheng hiam' (meaning the flat noodles with only chilli, ie no vinegar and ketchup).

This was close to 30 years ago.

I still miss the stall once in a while and I still do go back there once every one to two years, sometimes more. I will bring dad with me everytime.

I went back there again yesterday morning. I had been thinking about it over the past week. The craving was back so I was determined to make a trip back for a bowl of dried noodles when I was on leave on Friday. I think the last time I patronise was about 2 years ago. The seller uncle probably cannot remember me, but he remembers dad. Each time I go with dad, they will chat for a while (cant for too long cos boss has continuous orders).

The boss looked obviously older than those previous visits. His hair and moustache was apparently more grey (or rather all grey).

As usual, after dad ordered, I will sit there, waiting anxiously for the noodle to be served. I noticed something different this time. In the past, there was a bowl of red cut chilli, a bottle of light soy sauce and a bunch of chopsticks on each table, for self service. I thought that was pretty generous as stalls nowadays are not so generous with their chilli.

But yesterday, I saw there were nothing on the tables. Was wondering if it was the boss' decision for some reasons, or he is unable to do that now due to whatever regulations. I kinda miss the chilli.

I do not know if standards has changed or my taste is different, I feel that the noodle did not taste like before. Though it is still nice compared to a lot of other fishball noodles I have tried, the feel is somewhat different from the previous time I ate. The noodle didn't feel as tangy as before for one, and perhaps boss gave me too much chilli which affected the overall taste.

In any case, I am sure I will still miss it again after a while. So while I had fulfilled my taste bud yesterday, I am looking forward to my next opportunity to go avisiting again.


Haha, got a bonus yesterday - we saw MediaCorp artistes Fiona Xie and Aiyoyo Chen Liping and another old-timer whose name I cannot recall. They were doing some outdoor filming.










3 Nov 2007 (10.30am)

No comments: