Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Choice or No Choice

It is really frustrating when people tell me ‘you have a choice’. They may not be wrong but their simple-minded statement, when made to complicated minds like mine, is like pouring water into a pot of boiling oil!

So when is ‘having a choice’ really ‘having no choice’?

Here’s one simple illustration:

A) If you are ask to visit someone, the straightforward choice is

- Go
- Don’t go

B) To the complicated mind, the consideration is

Go -> I really don’t want to but I will not cause any unhappiness
Don’t go-> That’s what I really want but so-and-so will be upset

C) So, to the complicated mind, the choice is really

Go -> I really don’t want to but I will not cause any unhappiness -> I won’t be happy, others won’t be upset
Don’t go -> That’s what I really want but so-and-so will be upset -> I will be happy, others will be upset


If I am more afraid to upset others, my ‘CHOICE’ would be to GO. But that’s not what I want. So where has my choice gone to?

Complicated?

21 Nov 2007 (9.35pm)

No comments: