Friday, November 13, 2009

A Fine Lunch @ Soprano

It was a fine noon on 12 Nov 09, Thur when we started off to this Italian restaurant at Portsdown Road. It was a team lunch hosted by our Vice Dean as a year end appreciation meal.

Orders were taken two days before the lunch with the menu floating round. I don't go for italian meals hence the names looked really 'italian' to me! After some 'discussions' with my colleague, I have finally decided on the following:

Appetizer

Carpaccio di Salmone (salmon carpaccio topped with freshly shaved parmesan cheese dressed with extra virgin olive oil, onions, cappers, black pepper, lemon and parsley)

Main

Ravioli Ricotta e Spinaci - Al Fungi di bosco (selection of four varieties of wild wood mushrooms in creamy sauce)

Dessert

I scoop After-Eight Mint Gelato


Soprano Wine & Dine in Style @ 7 Portsdown Road. Not really accessible without a vehicle. There is a private carpark (with limited lots of course) for its patrons.


This was the menu which went round our desks for prior order taking. Anyway, the appetizer was subsequently changed to clams, plus other niceties like bread, cheese, hams, etc.


This was the first 'dish' that was served. Don't worry, not individual portion but to be shared. There were two types of cheese, one was a soft cheese (which was nicer to me) and the other a hard cheese.

A series of other side dishes which I thought was some preserved shallots and mixed mushrooms with er...olive, capsicums? The bread was the best!


Clams which had replaced our original appetizer. I am not fan of shell fish and hardly eat clams. But I surprised myself that I had broken the record of the number of clams I ate that day! Though not a mountain full, but more than what I would normally take (which is almost Nil!).


A total of 13 of us. We had started the appetizer before the host arrived.


We were sitting at the end of the restaurant so this picture, taken from where we sat, showed the general layout of the restaurant. There were seats outside too (non-conditioned).


This was my Ravioli Ricotta e Spinaci. I have always been wanting to try those dumpling like pasta which I see in the supermarket but not sure how it will taste. So I took the opportunity to try it here. The 'dumpling' was filled with spinach (as the name showed) and cheese. All in all, it wasn't bad but after a while, it sure does something funny to your tummy (I mean bloated). Sorry but I didn't manage to finish the whole thing no matter how hard I tried.


My favourite moment! Mint Gelato! There were more options than the menu we had but I still stick to what I had ordered because there is no choc ice-cream and so I settled for what I love too - MINT! It was very very nice.
Took a pic of my colleague's dessert. I forgot to ask if this was lemon gelato or lemon sorbet. the bowl looked empty to me, hahahaha.

A glass of Earl Grey tea - a little too 'strong' for my taste. Not that the tea was strong, but there was sort of a spice flavour in the tea. I would still prefer my normal cup of english tea.

One of my colleagues, Nic. We took the opportunities to take pics while the drivers went out to get their cars amidst the heavy downpour.

Tracy (who had arranged our lunch) and Sing Ee at the door of the restaurant. Because of the rain, I was not able to take a pic of the whole restaurant from outside.


A whole series of wine.


One more shot before we left.
Thanks Prof Yeoh for the wonderful lunch and the company and the gathering.
7.33am (14 Nov 09, Sat)

No comments: