Thursday, July 9, 2009

Do we really have to be this way?

I have made this observations for a very very long time since I was very very young. I wonder if I am too sensitive or there is really problem.

Singaporeans (I shan't say all, but enough from people around me to make me realise we have a problem) seem to like to grumble and complain about everything under the sun....not only to fellow Singaporeans, but to even foreigners when they meet them here or in the foreign land. I really feel upset and ashame whenever this happen around me.

Not that they are in a mutual discussions about things they are not happy about in their respective societies. They are always a one-way 'attack' with us leading the conversation. It can always start with the simplest things like weather, food, and after that it goes on to policies, behaviours and government. I seriously don't hear our counterparts commenting a single bit about their own societies (or if there are, very minor and short ones, and that's it). But we just have to keep on scolding, grumbling, complaining about ours.

Do we really need to do that?

What's really wrong with our weather? It's always hot, it's always cold, the sun makes us ill, the rain makes us ill, it's always unpredictable, the interchange of hot and cold makes us ill.

What's so unbearable with our food? They taste lousy, they don't taste as good as the good old days, there are too much preservatives, the ingredients are lacking.

What's wrong with our society? People like to complain, people are selfish, people are inconsiderate.

What's wrong with our government? They want money for everything, they make our lives hard, they make decisions without consulting people, they bully the oppositions, they give you benefits at election times.

So, what's so good about EVERYTHING in the other places? Aren't there any good things here? Why are we initiating our own Singapore bashing with non-Singaporeans? If it is so unbearable here, why don't then find a place where everything is so good and go there? Leave this damn place and you can bash however you like?

I am not saying things are perfect here. There are things I dislike here too. But to have to bring your grouses to every foreigner friend or relative everytime you meet one.....? Sigh. That's downright disgrace.

How much are we really different from the Chee Soon Juan and Francis Seow (I think), who travel to places like US, UK, etc and attacking Singapore from a foreign land? The only difference is that theirs are broadcasted. Ours travel underground and through the grapevine (informal source) but no doubt, as harmful and shameful! It's really very ugly.

Yes, we may not be living in a perfect society. We may not be happy with lots of things and policies. But I don't think we need to bring these grouses to EVERYONE from EVERYWHERE EVERYTIME! RIGHT?

Or maybe I am missing something all this time.

8.28pm

No comments: