Sunday, December 16, 2007

Taxi fares going up again!

Ouch!

I thought we just had a hike not too long ago? Or have I lost track of time? In the past, I used to disregard such news. But nowadays, I get very 'pissed off'. Perhaps age plays a big part. :)

When you get older and have been hearing such things so very often, it's no wonder. Isn't it? Every now and then, you hear this price going up, that price going up, etc , etc. Why are we so efficient whenever price hikes are concerned? They make some people happy and a lot more unhappy.

I am put off by the reality of the business concepts where people seem to define profit and loss in a way lay people really cannot understand.

Organisations want to earn money and it is natural that they want their earnings and profits to rise and rise and rise (just like parents want their kids to score higher and higher each time). It seems most are not willing to accept a lower profit, and I mean lower profit, not a loss (I know, I am crazy for even commenting about this). Yes, yes, they are responsible for shareholders, stakeholders, etc, etc, etc, otherwise the investment will flop......

I am not referring to cases where organisations make a loss which cannot cover their costs. That's what I call a LOSS! But for some, even a lower profit seems to be a loss for them. Is that a real loss? So when organisations see a lower profit, red lights flashed! Then what? Cost reduction or price increase.

So when time gets tough, the consumers get the punch! At a time when prices of all sorts (including petrol) rises, the only solution is to increase price.

But I wonder, in the case of taxis, do the cab drivers ever get their rental reduced in good times? I really don't know. But one cabby shared with me, that when they requested their organisation to reduce their rentals, the answer they got was that if the rental was cut by $1 per cabby, it would reduce their earnings by 'dunno how many of thousands'. How disappointing, the answer.

Sigh, so much for sharing woes.

I am going to be 'pissed off' whatever the reasons are given for the taxi hike. I hope I can refrain from taking taxis unnecessary because it is really sickening just by thinking about it! The meter is going to tick faster! Even taking the cab now is like playing stocks and consulting a lawyer combined! The similarity is that every minute counts! The difference of course is....the rate lah!

Having commented on the above, I am sure there are organisations that are more 'humane'. And I really hope such 'humane' organisations continue to survive well and be well publicised to prove that doing businesses don't mean just take, take and take everytime!

For those that only think about the 'BIG PICTURE' of their balance sheet, please also try to reflect that survival of the fittest doesn't only mean you win in terms of the tangibles things you have achieved and the most intelligent reasons or excuses you give. Sometimes winning the debate doesn't put you on top, it makes you more sickening.

The true winners win the tangibles and the goodwill that comes along with the moral values (or whatever good you do).

Haha, no wonder I am not in the business world, otherwise I would be a laughing stock for being so naive! Well, I am just a citizen.

16 Dec 2007 (3.10pm)

No comments: