Saturday, May 29, 2010

Visit to Mdm Wong's Shelter

I first come across Mdm Wong's Shelter (MWS) when I visited the Ericsson Pet Farm early May in my rented Toyota Axio. It was really a by chance thingy and I am so glad it happened.



I didn't have a walk in the shelter then but simply chatted with Ray, one of the more seasoned volunteer at the shelter. He shared with us things about the shelter and the furry friends - about 50+ dogs and 200+ cats.



Since that brief visit, I had been planning to do a visit to have a tour of the place and to mix around with the kiddos. Finally, today's the day! I was so excited.



We had also brought some items, ie key chains, handphone hangon straps, frames and some stuff which pal Irene had also contributed to Yian for the coming weekend's carnival.







Catties asleep in comfort of their little beds. Couldn't help but hiding a smile in my heart.


Cats community. When we stepped into this room, and the moment I squatted down, the pack all came towards me and fuss around! Was a little overwhelmed at first. One of them even climbed up my legs on its own accord and sat there!! Hahahaha...Then one of them (the one lying on the blue cage) 'patted' on my back while my attention was with the rests in front. Gave me a scare. But it was just trying to get attention. It kept meowing to get me to pat him/her. :)


Two catties at the bar welcoming us.


The catties at another private shelter.


This is Buttercup, the timid and shy abandoned doggy. It has been 'bullied' by the 3 fast growing doggies in the same bunk. I hope she gets adopted soon. I couldn't bear to put her down with those 'playful' folks below. I hope she gets her deserved happiness.

2 of the 5 pups which were abandoned and sent to MWS. One of them had been adopted. I carried one of them today. Wow, I love it!!
Though I was happy and excited to visit MWS, I was at the same time sad to see so many abandoned furry friends. And worse still, some were abused. I almost cried while playing with those cats, thinking they would be much happier if they had the freedom to roam about instead of being cooped up in a shelter. On the other hand, with the situation for some of them, it is probably safer for them to be at the shelter. Otherwise, once caught, they will be sent to SPCA or AVA and be put to sleep. Isn't that sick to the core?
And I really cannot tolerate the people who can simply abandon their pets for some unbelievable and atrocious reasons. And equally so the people who abuse them. I really hate to say some uncouth words to describe these people except to say - what goes around comes around.
I really have mixed feelings seeing the furry folks at MWS. First, feeling sad for them to have to end up in the shelter for some human created problems. But at the same time, I am also glad they have a shelter to continue with their lives and hopefully get a second chance in life. Some of these would have been sent to AVA/SPCA otherwise. In fact, a couple of them were rescued from AVA/SPCA.
Since young, I thought SPCA is a place which saves animals. But as I grew older, I realise that is not really the case. Yes, they are the body to lobby humanity to animals. That doesn't mean keeping them alive alone, but to administer death in a humane manner. My god!
So don't think sending your pets or whatever animals to SPCA will save their lives. Such a contradiction which has misled me since young. It has become a scary body in my view now.
And...I don't want to talk about the govt authorities in their role. I just feel.............!!
To end this all, I must say, I thought of my Chantek Xiaohei again. Wonder if she is in one of these shelter, if she's still alive or had she been sent to somewhere. :(
9.12pm

No comments: