Saturday, September 13, 2008

My Brief Visit to MacRitchie Reservoir

It was a fine day, after a morning shower. The sky was clear and I was dying to get out of home and go somewhere. And so MacRitchie Reservoir it is.

I went there just for a casual walk and to see how the place has changed since the last time I went (I cannot even remember when was my last visit there). I have been wanting to go for the trail walk one of these days, so today's brief visit is just a sneak preview.


The weather was really good and the breeze was very cooling. It wasn't as crowded as I imagined it to be, surprisingly. Sometimes, a few trekkers or joggers will whiz past you or a few visitors sitting at the stone bench under the shelter. Other times, you may not even see anyone which can get a little scary.


The serenity really calmed one's mind and nerves. It was very peaceful and as you walked, you could hear the birds chirping, the sound of water brushing at the side or fish splashing, and occasionally sounds of monkeys fighting or playing. Maybe it wouldn't be the same had the place become overly crowded.


Took this picture because I was somehow puzzled by the two colours in the water - green and yellow. The yellow could be of the muddy water at the edge.


You can even do fishing at the reservoir but only artificial baits can be used. No live baits. The notice has also mentioned something about releasing fish that is not big enough.


This is a good reminder to users of the nature reserve of the good etiquette but wonder how many will heed the reminder. Already while reading this notice, one youngster was throwing bread into the water to feed the fish, causing to splash and worse still, throwing an empty soft drink bottle into the trees at one of the monkeys. Sigh... Such are our kind of breed!


I must do one of the trails soon!! I guess I will enjoy though my legs will try to protest along the way.


Can you find the monkeys? Small ones. I think there were 3 or 4 of them scratching each others' backs. Very funny. I dared not walked too close to them since I was alone and that I didn't know how barbaric they could get.

Not that I like tortoise but that's the only creature I could get this close. I wish I could snap the monkeys this close. Anyway, I realise tortoise aren't as slow as we perceive them to be. When scared, they literally run back into the water as I had witnessed!

Er, just trying to capture the partially hidden sun above this tree. I had enjoyed today's little walk and exploration. I will definitely want to explore further and deeper when I do the hiking trail, which I hope...soon!

13 Sep 2008 (10.11pm)

No comments: