Saturday, August 2, 2008

Farewell, San-gu (18 March 1926 - 2 August 2008)

The day started with a phone call notifying us that my aunt in Beijing had passed away this morning at 3.04am. Though we had known her condition to be critical for the past couple of days, this piece of news was still received with a heavy heart and great sorrow. And it came just about 2.5 months after we visited her and her family in Beijing mid-May 08.
I had not expected this to happen as aunt (or san-gu, as I have been calling her) seemed well to me when we met her in May.
It was probably less than 2 weeks after we left Beijing that we knew she was ill and hospitalised. After that, everything happened so fast that I have still not quite accept the latest news.
Is that how frail life is? I had almost tried to delay our plan to visit Beijing to August or September (that was the peak period at work) when hubby suggested going in May because of his company shutdown. He persuaded me not to delay as he had promised aunt and uncle, when they came to Singapore to attend our wedding, that he will visit them in Beijing and bring dad there. For that, I am really thankful and grateful to my hubby. If not for his persistence, I guess we would have the added feeling of regret for delaying and not seeing her for the last time before she left us.
In any case, I am really saddened beyond words. Though we are miles apart, I always feel a sense of bonding with her. Our next visit to Beijing will be one without San-gu and I will definitely feel the loss.
We love you and will miss you dearly, San-gu. You will always be in our hearts here in Singapore.

One of the picture we had taken with San-gu (5th from left) in Beijing in May.

2 Aug 2008 (5.48pm)

No comments: