Saturday, August 23, 2008

Beijing Olympics - Synchronised Swimming

I was halfway watching the team free routine synchronised swimming on Channel 5. I must say, I was very very disappointed with the broadcast of both the duet and team sync swimming in this olympics.

It had nothing to do with the performances of the teams but the disappointment was with the broadcast.

First of all, you could hear lots of 'noise' at the background. Didn't whoever do this edit' tune down the volume of the noise?

Secondly, you could hardly hear the accompanying music at all. Coupled with the cheers, everything just came up to be a lot of 'noise'. Watching synchronised swimming has to be a package that includes visual (the artistic performance) and audio (the music).

Thirdly, the narrators rah rah rah throughout the each routine and that really added on to the 'noise'.

The whole competition was nothing but NOISE. My god, it wasn't like that in 2004. I was able to enjoy the whole package. The music, the performances and cheers at appropriate movement, and limited narration.

Great disappointment this round. It's not just a matter of not enjoying the show, but it's torturous to watch it. Can you imagine watching an artistic dance accompanied by what you would hear at football matches???

I can't believe this! Great great great disappointment! I am having a headache.

[Afterword: I noticed that a little adjustments had been made in the second half of the competition yesterday. That made it a little better. But overall still a disappointment. Actually I wasn't sure if they had shown all the teams. I hadn't counted. The programme ended without any summary shown and it switched to another sporting competition. Sigh...]

24 Aug 2008
7.30am

No comments: