Saturday, August 9, 2008

Beijing Olympics: One World, One Dream

The 29th Beijing Olympics opened yesterday. The opening ceremony was simply spectacular! Each programme item involved hundreds and thousands of performers. Coordinating programme and practices for such huge numbers is definitely not an easy task. The overall outcome had been more than fantastic, at least that's what I thought.

The greatest part of this already great ceremony was the torch relay! So, Li Ning had been the final athlete to finally light up the big torch. The process was awesome, with him 'running' on air round the Bird Nest before lighting up the gigantic torch! How exciting! (Hey, was Zhang Jun the badminton guy whom I had 'adored' for the last 2 Olympics. He looked fatter! Gosh!)

In fact, throughout the show, I had been feeling so proud of the Chinese citizens for managing to prepare, organise and finally put up such a spectacular program in the midst of protests and criticisms from some external agencies/governments.

Had my San-gu been around to watch, I am very sure she would have been very happy and proud of this. I wonder if she would have managed to watch it from 'somewhere' with us.

Let's hope for the next two weeks, the athletes live the One World, One Dream slogan. I definitely have one dream - to watch all the events that I have been eagerly waiting for the last 4 years after the Athens Games. My loves include: Synchronised Swimming, Diving, Gymnastics (all kinds). I still have the video recording of the Athens Synchronised Swimming Finals!

Well, nothing but Olympics will be in my mind for the next 2 weeks. That's my greatest joy once every 4 years.

Congratulations, Beijing, for a great show and I hope everything remains great throughout the period of the Games!

And for Minister Mentor who had to return to Singapore right after the opening ceremony in Beijing (which ended at least at 12am this morning), do have a good rest before the National Day Parade this evening.

This picture of the Bird Nest was taken when we were in Beijing in May. I had just downloaded it from my hubby's handphone.

9 Aug 2008 (10.05am)

No comments: