Friday, May 30, 2008

Visit to Beijing (Food First)

I was in Beijing for 5 days mid-May with daddy, hubby, aunts and cousin. A nice climate to visit - cooling. A nice escape from the humid, warm and sweaty weather in Singapore. Weather and food are among my top loves in Beijing.



















One of our first dishes upon our arrival. Prawns - steamed vs fried. I forgot to try the steamed ones but the fried ones were marvellous. Could swallow the whole prawn with the shells.




















The wasabi cabbage that almost choked me to suffocation! *sweat*




















How can a Beijing trip be complete without tasting its famous Peking Duck?! Guess you know how roasted duck skin and duck meat looks like so I don't have to waste space for that. Here are the filling those goes into those popiah skin with the duck meat. And know what? I was told that the duck skin is supposed to be eating with the white sugar. Actually quite a nice combi. I tried dipping the skin into the sugar and mmm...nice! But the other restaurants where we tried the peking duck, there wasn't any sugar. So I guess different places eat it differently.




















Homemade dumplings (jiaozi) by Xiaoli, my cousin's wife. Accompanied by other cold dishes such as cucumber salad, tomoto salad, etc.





Another homemade zha jiang mian by Xiaoqi, another cousin's wife who prepared this early in the morning at 5am for our dinner that night.
There are just too many nice, simple and cheap food which I had truly enjoyed. Too many to have everything posted in here. So, just a few for appetizers. :)
Coming up next....some scenic pics.
30 May 2008 (10.33pm)

No comments: