Saturday, May 24, 2008

Mao Mao Passes On

My very first hammie, my very first home pet has left us this morning. It wasn't something unexpected as we had seen Mao Mao grew old, grew weak, less reluctant to be handled for the past few months. He could hardly climbed the stairs so I removed it. He stumbled as he walked. His fur dropped. He became thin. But all in all, he was and still is a dear to us. He had waited for us to return from Beijing before leaving us.

I woke up at 7 plus am this morning and wanted to take a look at Mao Mao. He was in his usual sleeping position but on closer inspection, I noticed he wasn't breathing and his body has become stiff. He could have passed on early in the morning.

I had brought Mao Mao home on 24 Sep 2006 when he was 5 months old (he was a Winter White Sapphire Dwarf Hamster). So based on this, he should have been 2 years 1 month now. He had brought joy and fun into our home for a good 1 year 8 months. We played with him, stroked him, dad made Mao Mao slept in his palm, joined us in our reunion dinner, etc. We had a great 1 plus year with our dearie.
I am going to miss him lots.


Mao Mao went in peace. That's the position he was in when I realised he was gone. Looked like sleeping yah? He still looked so adorable.
We wrapped Mao Mao, placed him in a little box with his favourite sunflower seeds and other treats. Wanted to give him more but that would make burying more tedious.
We decided to bury him downstairs, at dad's place so that we can still be with him. And we know he is with us.
That's the little spot we had given him, hoping he can have a peaceful place where he can rest in peace.
Mao Mao's resting place. A place where we can see him every day. He will be in my heart.
Rest in peace, Mao Mao. I hope we had given you joy and happiness all this time, if you have emotions. I hope we had made your life a happy one, if you can feel it. Hope you can find more happiness in your afterlife.
I will miss you, Mao Mao. Thank you for bringing joy to us. We enjoyed having you with us.
Afterword: I think Mao Mao's passing is due to old age plus wet tail. :(
24 May 2008 (9.41am)

No comments: